Welcome

Eat real food. Be sad about a lack of wine. Be sad about about a lack of sugar. But feel better. And consider how awesome that is and how awesome it is to have people with you to enjoy the experience all the more.

Please SHARE. Share your daily food journal. Share recipes. Share what you love. Share what you hate.

Monday, January 11, 2010

i want chocolate every night

is this what we're doing? All posting like this? ok, Im going then....

I feel that my schedule is the busiest that i have had since I have moved to seattle, so my meals are all fairly monotonous and leftover-ey. I am eating paleo and zoning my proportions of protein (I aim for 18 blocks of meat/egg= 126 grams of protein) and eating about 36 blocks of fat (olive oil, avocados, pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds).

No, zoning your meals is not part of the challenge, this is just how i am rolling, so i am sharing.

Since the volume of veggies required for me to meet my block requirements would also require me to spend 1/3 of my day in the commode (due to fiber, not because veggies are bad for you) I usually eat at least 1 piece fruit per meal (usually 2). In the end, i don't really count anything that has to do with weight with fruits and vegetables, i just making certain that some member of the species is represented on my plate (or tupperware) and i go by two rules:

1. lettuce never counts for anything (not even the spring mix) and
2. there needs to be at least as much or more of it than whatever protein I'm consuming.

Breakfast 8am:
4 hardboiled eggs (from the night before, let to sit in cold water on the stove)
1 apple (honey crisp)
5 table spoons of almond butter (for every piece of apple)
8 oz green juice from trader joes (the sweet stuff, not the stuff that tastes like compost pile)

Lunch 11am:
4 oz chicken (cooked in coconut milk) over raw kale (leftovers from dinner)
1 pear
1 handful of trailmix (hazelnuts, raisins, almonds)
10 oz coffee

Snack at 4pm:
4 oz chicken (same as above..)
handful of pecans
spoonful of almond butter
2 tangerines

Dinner 930pm:
7 oz lean ground turkey, sauteed with onions in olive oil
~ cup sauteed spinach (from frozen bag)
4 small zuccini squash, roasted in oven drizzled with olive oil
handful of mini-heirloom tomatoes
1/4 cup marinara sauce (organic tomato, basil, no salt)

Desert: 1 blood orange, quartered, roasted under broiler for 7 minutes, covered with cinnamon
and some chamomile tea.

And i drank about 4 liters of water throughout it all.
I cooked on sunday, so leftovers carry me through my lunches till wednesday, and ill cook again wednesday night.

2 comments:

  1. I know I could do research on this - but I'd rather just ask. You do 36 blocks of fat - why do you up the ratio? Is it something that you have gradually done? I know that this is something that has done, but I don't know why or when you would do it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, per gram, fat had more calories than carbohydrates do, ergo they are more nutrient dense. I am consuming "2x fat", which in "Zone" colloquialism means that i am consuming twice my block allotment for fat. So, I am on 18 blocks (roughly), and so if i was doing a normal zone allotment, i would be consuming 18 blocks of fat (roughly 27 grams). Doubling that gives me 36 blocks.

    Already, mono-saturated fats give you more energy in less food. So part of my intention is to keep my calorie intake to sustainable levels (granted i never really count calories) and to give me enough fuel to sustain my work load: long days of studying, teaching, and workouts either morning or night. I don't get enough sleep (6 or less/night), and since my days are long and my food choices are as they are, i need sustenance.

    Now, when i say "calorie intake to sustainable levels", 2x fat, in my opinion, is not for everyone. It helps me keep weight on and make it through my days. I also need to balance out my omega 6 EFA ratio (from nuts) with Omega 3 from fish oil, of which i take about 6-9 grams per day. This might be "more than you need to know", but keep asking wherever the questions pop up

    ReplyDelete