Welcome

Eat real food. Be sad about a lack of wine. Be sad about about a lack of sugar. But feel better. And consider how awesome that is and how awesome it is to have people with you to enjoy the experience all the more.

Please SHARE. Share your daily food journal. Share recipes. Share what you love. Share what you hate.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Prep and Cook

As I'm on day 4 of this 'party', I realize that I need to be thinking at least 24 hours ahead for every meal. I need to prep the meat (taken out of the freezer) and make sure I've got my ingredients. It REALLY sucks to be hungry and not have the right food available (with my roommates food laying around).

Over the weekend, I went to the farmer's market and bought a whole Coho Salmon for $30 - averaged about $6/pound. I got home and filletted it, froze it and now I'm set with one good protein source. I also have locally produced beef and lamb available. If anyone wants to talk local meats, I've got lots of resources.

One easy recipe I made this week - was an easy egg dish - tasted real good.

Ingredients:
3 Brown Organic Eggs
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Shallot
Braising Greens (Kale, Chard, Beet Greens etc)
Can of Tuna (high grade, locally 'produced - bought at the farmer's market - St Jude Fishing Vessel, for example).
Olive Oil

I started by sauteing the Shallots and Garlic in Olive Oil. After they turned a bit translucent, I added in the canned Tuna (if you haven't had this tuna, it ain't your mamma's - it's a whole chunk of high grade tuna). After heating up the tuna I added a big generous handful of the Braising Greens. Cooked those down a bit and added the eggs, scrambled.

This was tasty and had enough left over for the next day's breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm.... interesting... tuna & eggs... but I might have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesterday morning I did a smoked salmon scramble, similar variation. I have to say, why am I normally spending money on these meals out?? It was delicious and one day I look forward to adding a bit of cheese, but I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you get this high quality canned tuna? I've been eating that a decent amount and it's all got salt or soybean oil in the can.

    ReplyDelete